The live-action film adaptation of the iconic toy doll Barbie has become a worldwide sensation, surpassing $1.2 billion in global box office revenues and setting new records for female directors and live-action comedies.
Barbie: A Hilarious and Heartwarming Toy Story
Barbie, directed by Greta Gerwig and starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling as Barbie and Ken, is a comedy film that follows the adventures of the famous doll as she enters the real world for the first time. Along the way, she meets new friends, discovers new cultures, and learns to embrace her true self.
The film has received critical acclaim for its witty script, charming performances, and empowering message. Critics have praised Gerwig’s direction, Robbie’s production, and Gosling’s comedic timing. The film has also been lauded for its diverse cast, which includes Awkwafina, Mindy Kaling, Riz Ahmed, and Lupita Nyong’o.
Barbie has also been a hit with audiences of all ages and genders, who have found the film to be funny, uplifting, and relatable. The film has been especially popular among young girls, who have been inspired by Barbie’s courage, curiosity, and kindness.
Barbie: A Box Office Phenomenon
Barbie has been dominating the box office since its release on July 21, 2023. The film opened with a staggering $210 million in North America and $250 million internationally, making it the biggest opening weekend ever for a live-action comedy film.
The film has shown remarkable staying power, remaining at the top spot for four consecutive weeks in North America and three weeks in most international markets. The film has also broken several records, such as:
- The fastest Warner Bros. Pictures release to hit the $1 billion mark globally after only 17 days in theaters.
- The highest-grossing film ever directed by a woman, surpassing Wonder Woman’s $821.8 million global total.
- The highest-grossing live-action comedy film of all time, surpassing The Hangover Part II’s $586.8 million global total.
- The second-highest-grossing film of 2023, behind The Super Mario Bros. Movie’s $1.357 billion global total.
Barbie has also received numerous accolades and nominations, including:
- A Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy.
- A Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture.
- An Academy Award nomination for Best Picture.
Barbie: A Cultural Icon
Barbie is not only a box office success, but also a cultural phenomenon that has sparked conversations, trends, and memes across the internet. The film has generated a loyal fan base that has created fan art, cosplay, merchandise, and social media accounts dedicated to the film.
The film has also inspired many people to share their own stories of how Barbie has influenced their lives, whether it was through playing with the dolls, watching the animated series, or reading the books. Many celebrities have also expressed their love for the film, such as:
- Taylor Swift, who wrote and performed the original song “You Can Be Anything” for the film’s soundtrack.
- Beyoncé, who attended the film’s premiere with her daughter Blue Ivy Carter and posted a photo of them wearing matching pink dresses on Instagram.
- Barack Obama, who tweeted that he and his wife Michelle enjoyed watching the film with their daughters Malia and Sasha.
Barbie is more than just a movie; it is a celebration of diversity, individuality, and creativity. It is a film that reminds us that we can be anything we want to be.