Yes, the sweet smell of perfumes, even the most expensive ones you invest in, can leave you bewildered with dangerous reactions. The fragrances are not always natural oils, they can also contain toxic chemicals which have effects which can never be negated. However, you can save yourself by opting for organic and botanical variants as shown on Fragrance 365’s website. Here, we are going to give you some insight into the chemicals which are embedded in these perfumes and why are they harmful.
Various studies have discovered a huge number of malicious chemical ingredients such as camphor, acetone, benzaldehyde, benzyl acetate, benzyl alcohol, ethanol, ethyl acetate, limonene, linalool, and methylene chloride in some combination or the other in the fragrances.
Though, not all the above fragrances can cause huge damages, regular use of these on body can lead to severe nervous, respiratory, and kidney damages which are at times irreversible. Inflammation, irritation, itching, and dizziness are some side-effects which are common amongst the people who are particularly allergic to one of these chemicals. To top it all, the labels of these fragrances do not even disclose what the chemicals hidden under the rosy smell are, making it difficult for allergic people to save themselves from reactions. Here are the chemicals that different studies have discovered in a small section of brands.
- Endocrine disruptors and phthalates were discovered as ingredients of many famous perfumes which can cause severe drop in the IQ of a baby if the mother uses the fragrances during pregnancy. Plus, the diethyl phthalates result in sperm damage.
- Over 24 chemicals in the perfumes are known to cause allergy triggers such as headaches, runny noses, rashes, hyperpigmentation, coughing, skin inflammation and more.
- The lack of regulation is also a serious concern here because it is only the banned substances which the manufacturers are barred from using. Apart from those, they use many other petrochemicals which are not even assessed until after they were busted under studies.
- Musk Ketone, which is a dangerous skin irritant was discovered in the scents which is certainly not permissible when most of the people use them directly on their skin.
- Certain ‘Obesogens’ were also discovered by scientists which are known to make people gain weight just by application of perfumes.
Well, now you know that fragrances can contain chemicals and that too harmful ones which can cause hormonal imbalances, allergic reactions, and weight gain. Plus, there are many other hidden substances which are seen unfit for human use. And they are conveniently hidden because companies are not bound by regulations to reveal the chemicals that they’ve used.
All said, the question is how you can protect you family from these toxins. Here are some tips to avoid toxins and still smell pleasant:
- Avoid all packaging which come without full chemical disclosure.
- Look up the complicated ingredients on the internet and check if they are safe or not.
- Opt for products which use essential oils for scents and you can always switch to essential oils instead of scents yourself.
- Organic scents, though expensive, are a great way to escape several toxic chemicals.
There you have it! There are chances that you eau de parfum has toxic substances in it, you need to be more careful to be safe.