Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple: A huge fire broke out at the shops of Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple on February 2 at 11:20 PM. First, there was a fire at one shop near the entrance of the temple. But later the fire spread to three shops and the things were damaged. It spread to most of the nearby shops later. There was also a fire accident near Meenakshi Amman Temple’s Aayiram Kaal Mandapam.
On God’s grace, no one was injured. After the fire broke out, three fire engines from surrounding region have arrived to extinguish the fire. Madurai District Collector Veera Raghava Rao has said that the fire was due to the electric short circuit. He also said people are safe as of now no one is injured. Now five fire engines have arrived from the surrounding areas to extinguish the fire as it was spread to most of the shops.
Plastic things in the shops have burnt and the fire in shops are more severe. The fire extinguishers are in the battle to put off the fire in the shops. Because of this Meenakshi Amman Temple was totally covered by smoke. Fire engines and the people are in the process of extinguishing the fire as soon. The way towards the entrance is very short. So Water is taken to the spot through small vehicles.